Rich lentils (daal) curry with a flavor packed tempering (Tadka) that takes this daal curry to the next level. Have it with rice, chapathi or even just as it is and I promise that it is outrageously delicious.
Daal is the most staple dish in most Indian households. All you need is a handful of daal, few Indian spices and you will get a bowl of deliciousness that is nutritious and makes your taste buds very happy. I usually make very few vegetarian dishes as you all know, seeing the few number of veg recipe posts in my blog. To be frank I am not very good at making veg curries, but I love having it. The only type of veg curries that I make are with daal.
When daal is the main base of the curry, it is a sure thing that it will turn out good. I got this recipe for tadka daal from Cooking Shooking in YouTube. The main star of this curry is the Tadka. Tadka refers to spices tempered in hot oil and poured into the curry, mostly in the end but here I make just one tadka and the curry is made in it and also a little is poured on top of the curry in the end.
We really enjoyed having this curry, hope you will too.
Daal Tadka/ Tempered Lentils Curry
- ½ Cup Split yellow moong daal/ lentils washed and drained
- 2 Cups Water
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 3 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Whole Cumin Seeds
- 4 Dried red chillies
- Curry leaves
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 1 Tsp each Ginger & Garlic
- ½ Small Tomato
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tsp Dried kasuri methi (Fenugreek leaves)
- Coriander leaves
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- In a pressure cooker, add daal, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and salt and pressure cook on high flame until 4 whistles blow.
- Open once the whole pressure is released naturally and mix it well so that there are no lumps.
To make Tadka:
- In a pan, add ghee. Add cumins seeds. Let it bloom well.
- Then add dried red chillies and curry leaves.
- Then add onons, ginger, garlic and tomatoes all at once.
- Once the onion comes on top of the oil, add red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander and kasuri methi powder. Cook for a minute or so.
- Take out 2 tbsps of tadka and reserve it for using while garnishing in the end.
- To the remaining tadka, pour the cooked daal. Mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Add coriander leaves and butter. Mix well. Add more water if the gravy is too thick.