Chicken Pinwheel Puffs feature a sweet and spicy chicken filling simply rolled up in flaky puff pastry, sliced into pinwheels and baked.
These tempting appetizers look kinda difficult to make, but they are not. In fact, this is one of the most easiest things you can make.It is the month of ramadan for us Muslims, and we began observing the dawn-to-dusk fast. At the time of breaking the fast (ifthar) we make lots of tasty appetizers and refreshing drinks. Today this is definitely what I am going to have for ifthar.
I love to try out new recipes with the buttery puff pastry. I always stock them in my freezer. Puff Pastry is so versatile that you can use it to create many mouth watering savory and sweet dishes. You can make these pinwheels ahead of time and then bake them when you’re ready. The pinwheels are great warm from the oven.
Chicken Pinwheel Puffs
For the filling
- 200 g Chicken boiled in 1/2 tsp of chilly pdr, 1/4 tsp of turmeric pdr and salt and shredded
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 3 green chillies
- 1 Tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- 11/2 tsp tomato paste
- 3/4 tsp sweet chilly sauce plus more
- coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 sheet puff pastry roll
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- I egg for egg wash
To make the filling
- In a frying pan add the oil and sauté the onions, ginger, garlic, and green chillies for two mins.
- To this add the spices and sauté for a minute.
- Add in the tomato paste and the sweet chilly sauce and sauté well. Shake in the salt.
- Throw in the shredded chicken and mix well to combine. Finally top it with coriander leaves.
To make the pinwheels
- Defrost puff pastry according to instructions. Lightly cover work surface with flour and roll out puff pastry. Brush puff pastry with melted butter.
- Spread the sweet chilly sauce on top.
- Spread the chicken mixture onto the dough evenly, making sure to get it to all of the edges.
- Add the cheese.
- Roll the pastry into a log. Once you have it all nicely rolled up, clean up your outside edge by tucking it back under. Brush the edge with egg wash to seal log. Brush egg wash all over log.
- Slice log into 1/2 inch pieces for pinwheel. Place pinwheels on lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
✔Add the mozzarella only if you want to. I used it in half of the pinwheels only. With or without cheese it tastes great.
✔You can use any kind of filling you want. Instead of the chicken you can even make these with spinach and cheese. Or substitute it with pepperoni, sliced hot dogs, whatever you have in mind.