A very light and moist cake which is made out of Semolina (Rava), yoghurt, milk and oil. This cake doesn’t contain gulab jamun but tastes a lot like it in a cake form, that’s why the name. The cake is served warm with rose water scented sugar syrup.
I have never been this excited to share a recipe with you all. This Gulab Jamun cake is such a good one, that you would want to make it over and over again. It is a very simple recipe too. I love cake recipes where you just have to mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, pour into baking tray and bake.
The texture of this cake is a little different. It is a little like basbousa because of the semolina, but also tastes like coconut cake for some reason. Since this cake is soaked in sugar syrup, it resembles Gulab Jamun a lot. Some of you might think that this doesn’t taste like gulab jamun at all, but even then I’m sure you’ll love this cake as much. It is delicious. The entire credit for this recipe goes to “The Pink Kettle”.
Gulab Jamun Cake
- 1 Cup semolina
- 170 Grams yoghurt
- ½ Cup oil
- ½ Cup sugar
- 1 Cup milk
- pinch of salt
- 1½ Tsp baking powder
- powdered pistachios
For sugar syrup:
- 1 Cup water
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Tsp rose syrup
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a whisk until well combined.
- Pour it in a well greased, lined pan.
- Bake in a 180 C preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Pour sugar syrup, garnish with pistachios and serve warm.
To make sugar syrup:
- Add water and sugar in a pan and boil while stirring until sugar is melted.
- Boil on high for 4 minutes.
- Pour Rose water.