The classic Indian Tandoori Chicken which is very easy to make at home in the oven and tastes just like the ones you get in the restaurants.
I’ve been making Tandoori Chicken since the time I started cooking, which was during my teenage years. You guys might think that I was some sort of Junior Masterchef…but I was definitely not one :D. In the midst of lots of flop cooking stories, I do hit the jackpot once in a while. But cooking, mainly baking at that time was something I enjoyed. Watching my “master chef standard” cook, my sister..my ethatha do her magic in the kitchen was something that I found most happiness in, because at the end you get to eat those delicious creations.
Now back to the tandoori Chicken, frankly speaking I never get it right. But it kept getting better and better as I grew up and started developing more interest in cooking. Thankfully now my Tandoori chicken recipe barely resembles what I used to make back in high school. All thanks to the wonderful Vah Chef, Sanjay Thumma. This is highly adapted from his recipe and it comes out perfect everytime and with every bite you tend to go “vah vah”. 😀
The flavor of the Tandoori coating on the chicken really is fantastic. It is high on flavor and super easy to make. Traditionally Tandoori Chicken is made in a Tandoor which is a cylindrical clay oven, it is also cooked on top of charcoal. But this oven baked one turns out just as good. Hope you guys will give this a go.
- 600 grams chicken (leg quarters preferred)
- 3 tsp red chilli powder divided (I used Kashmiri chilli powder)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice divided
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp thick yoghurt
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1/2 tsp dried kauri methi leaves powder
- 1 tsp red color (optional)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- While grilling the chicken, I turned on both the top and bottom flame.
- You can reduce the amount of red chilli powder if you don’t want it very spicy.
- You can freeze the chicken with the marinade (raw). Then when to want to cook it, thaw it and grill.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
- Clean the chicken pieces and make slits on it.
- Marinate the chicken with 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice and salt. Make sure you apply the marinade in the slits of the chicken too. Keep for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together all the remaining ingredients.
- Apply this all over the chicken.
- Grill the chicken in the oven for 25-30 minutes, till the chicken is well cooked and charred on the outside. You can apply more ghee on the chicken while its getting cooked.
13 thoughts on “Tandoori Chicken”
The chicken look delicious, but when you say “grilled in the oven” what exactly do you mean? I thought it was supposed to be baked? or are you broiling it under a flame?
Thanks for the clarification !
Hey Deb. Sorry for the late reply. Actually you can either grill (broil) by turning on the top flame. Or bake it by turning on both top and bottom flame.
Want to relish delicious and healthy food baked in Tandoor? Marina Trades provides tandoors available in best price and all different type of tandoors. All Tandoors are NSE certified. Now, what are you waiting for? All Tandoor dishes are on your doorsteps. Order your tandoor now.
Would love to try this recipe. Do you mean 1tsp chaat masala ?
Yes it is chaat masala. It was a typo. 😀
Hi Sadia !!!
Tried this recipe for dinner to tonight and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal…
To be honest , my grilled chicken is usually very dry no matter how much i try controlling the temp n cooking time.. but this time it turned out perfect and i cant believe it.. It was moist juicy n yummmm… hubby loveeed it too.. guess the ghee addition makes it soft..
anyways thanks a lot for another lovely recipe.. this will be my favourite for sure
Aww thank you so much for the kind words Azeeja. I’m feeling so good. Thanks. 🙂
May I check to clarify if you meant kasuri methi as kauri methi leaves powder ? Planning to give this recipe a try
It’s dry kasuri methi leaves powder.
Nice post author. Thank you.
hi what all ingredients do u have in the garam masala
I use store bought ready made one.