Butterscotch milk cake is a delectable dessert comprising a light and airy sponge cake drenched in a luscious sweet milk infusion. It is then adorned with a decadent layer of caramelized nuts, crowned with a velvety-rich butterscotch flavored cream. This indulgent treat tastes amazing, making it the ideal choice for gatherings, celebrations, or any special occasion.
This cake holds a special place in my heart because I’m a sucker for anything with caramelized nuts. It takes me back to the good ol’ days when my dad would get us a caramelized nuts cake or a butterscotch one for our birthdays. Those were the days, and this cake brings all those memories flooding back. It’s like a delicious trip down memory lane.
In making this delectable butterscotch milk cake, I began with a simple yet incredibly soft sponge cake base. To infuse it with little sweetness, I prepared a milk mixture consisting of regular milk, condensed milk, and whipping cream, accentuated with a touch of caramel sauce for that unmistakable butterscotch flavor.
The next layer of indulgence comes in the form of caramelized nuts, adding a delightful crunch and nutty aroma to the cake.
For the crowning glory, I whipped up a thick and sumptuous cream using mascarpone and whipping cream, generously flavored with the salted caramel sauce I prepared. While I opted for caramel sauce to avoid overwhelming richness, you can easily transform it into a true butterscotch sauce by incorporating a bit of butter during the caramel-making process.
This cake strikes the perfect balance between the rich essence of butterscotch and a creamy, dreamy texture, making it an irresistible treat for any occasion.
BUTTERSCOTCH /CARAMEL MILK CAKE
For the Sponge Cake:
- 4 Large eggs
- ½ Cup sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch Of salt
- ¼ Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
For milk Syrup:
- 1½ Cups milk
- 2-3 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk add more if you want sweeter cake
- ¼ Cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp caramel sauce (recipe below)
For Caramelized Nuts:
- ½ Cup nuts cashew and almonds
- ½ Cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp Softened butter
For Butterscotch Sauce:
- ½ Cup sugar
- ½ Cup cream At room temperature
- ⅓ Cup butter (at room temp) (I didn't add butter, but you can to give proper buttersctoch flavor)
- ½ Tsp salt
- ½ Tsp vanilla extract
For Cream Topping:
- 1/2 Cup whipping cream
- 200 Grams mascarpone cream
- prepared butterscotch sauce
To make cake:
- Add eggs and sugar in a bowl and best it on high speed for4-5 minutes until it turns light and fluffy.
- Pour in oil and mix.
- Add vanilla and salt and mix.
- Add flour and baking powder in 3 batches folding it in gently until fully incorporated.
- Transfer to a greased and lined square baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
To make milk syrup:
- Mix all the ingredients and keep aside
To make caramelized nuts:
- Add sugar in a pan and let it melt and turn golden in color on medium low flame.
- Add softened butter and mix.
- Add roasted and crushed nuts and mix well.
- Pour on a baking paper and let it cool.
- Once cooled crush it into smaller pieces
To make butter scotch sauce;
- In a pan add sugar and let it melt.
- once it turns golden in color, add butter and let it melt. Butter should be at room temp. (You can omit this step)
- Pour room temp cream gradually and mix well on lowest flame.
- Let it come to a bubble and turn off heat. Add salt and vanilla. Let it cool.
To make topping:
- Whip whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add mascarpone and mix well.
- Pour butterscotch sauce and mix.
To assemble cake:
- Poke holes all over the cake and pour the milk syrup all over.
- Add caramelized nuts on top.
- Spread the cream all over.
- Garnish with remaining nuts.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours or overnight. Serve cold.