Arabian flavored bread pudding with layers of toasted bread, milk pudding, pistachios and cream. All the layers blend beautifully well after refrigerating and tastes heavenly.
This is a very simple dessert. Even though it is rich, it contains neither eggs nor butter. It need not be baked too. Sooo amazingly easy but my guarantee, its super delicious. This recipe was shared by my sweet friend Najma during college days long time back. I tried it at home, we all loved it and it stayed forever in the family.
If you guys have left over bread at home, use it up for this pudding. It turns out phenomenal. Do try this and let me know how it turned out. 😊
Arabic Bread Pudding
- 12 slices bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 level tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- 380 g thick cream
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup chopped almond or flakes
- Cut the sides off the bread and toast the bread slices well.
- Mix the cornflour with a little cold milk and keep aside.
- Boil the remaining milk with condensed milk. Add the cornflour mixture and let it boil till the milk becomes little thick.
- Turn off the heat and pour in rose water and orange blossom water.
- Pour a little milk mixture in a square dish.
- Place the bread slices on top of the milk.
- Pour little milk mix over the bread.
- Spread half of the cream on top of this.
- Sprinkle half of the pistachios and almonds each.
- Pour a little milk mixture on top of this.
- Place the bread, then little milk mix and then the cream.
- Pour the remaining milk mixture, add the nuts and sprinkle rose water and jasmine water.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 4-5 hours or preferably overnight.
Use stale bread so that it will soak up the milk well.
If you didn’t get orange blossom water or if you don’t like the smell of it just use the rose water alone.