A very unusual pizza where the crust forms while the pizza bakes. You wouldn’t require yeast, kneading, or rolling of the dough. The crust is simply made from a liquid batter.
I was so out of ideas and didn’t know what to make for the blog. I had plans to make bao buns or Sri Lankan rotis…something that is not deep fried. But I didn’t have the time to knead the dough, roll it and make individual ones. So as I was searching in my recipe encyclopedia a.k.a Pinterest for ideas, this recipe for Crazy Crust Pizza by Plain Chicken caught my eye. The name itself was so inviting.
I opened the page and fell in love with the concept. I was like how is it possible?! It really felt crazy. 😀 The crust is made with a liquid batter and not a dough. The other thing which sounded very interesting was that the toppings and the batter are baked together, so that the topping embed into the crust. Then after the initial baking, the pizza is topped with the sauce and the mozzarella and baked again.
Sounds interesting right?! The outcome was amazing. It was very different and delicious. The crust is not chewy or bread like but it more on the softer side. But it is crispy on the edges.
I can see myself making this pizza a lot in the future. It is SO good!!
For the crust:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian spice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
For the pizza sauce:
- 1 large tomato, pureed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or to taste
- 1/2 cube maggi chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Pepper powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
For the chicken:
- 300g chicken breast cut into small strips.
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 green chillies
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Corn (optional)
- Olives (optional)
- You can add any topping to the pizza. You can make a pepperoni pizza, alfredo pizza, ranch pizza…you name it.
- But follow the crust recipe as it is and add the topping to the crust batter.
- If you prefer very thin crust, use a bigger pan.
To make the chicken mixture:
- Marinate chicken with chilli powder and salt. Shallow fry in little oil and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add more oil if needed and sauté the onions and green chillies for few minutes till soft. Add salt. (I sautéed the onions first and then fried the chicken, but sautéing onions in the fried chicken leftover oil would be better)
- Add chicken back to the pan along with onions and mix.
- Pour soya sauce. Mix well.
- Add coriander leaves and cover and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
To make the sauce:
- In a pan add butter and oil, sauté the onions till soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Add red chilli powder and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the tomato purée along with crushed stock cube. Add salt.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves.
To make the crust:
- Add all the ingredients in the blender and blend well till everything is combined.
- Do not overmix, because the crust will get hard.
- In a 9 by 13 inch well greased and lined pan, pour the batter.
- Add the chicken mix along with corn and olives.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degree C.
- Take out and spread the sauce.
- Add the mozzarella cheese.
- Keep it back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes. In the last 5 minutes, turn on the top flame and let the cheese melt.
- Take out and serve.
5 thoughts on “Crazy Crust Pizza”
Thank you so much for sharing this Sadia! I baked this with my own type of topping and the girls instantly loved it. It didn’t take any time to disappear. I recently posted it on the blog too… 🙂
Really?! That’s nice. Happy that your girls liked it. Let me check out yours now.
Hi can i make this in stovetop
yes, you can