A savory fried pie which boasts of a buttery pie crust which can be filled with chicken, beef, veggies etc and then deep fried to perfection.
This delicious fried bite sized appetizer is perfect to have during Iftar or just anytime of the day. This is a lot similar to our traditional Malabar Kozhi Ada/ Chicken Pockets. But here we make a crust with butter whereas we use ghee in Kozhi Ada.
Since we are a big fan of Kozhi Ada, we loved this one too equally. The crust is nice and crispy because butter is added to it. You can add any filling for this. I got the idea for making this from an Instagram page under the name naana_kitchen. Thank you Naheda for this lovely idea. Naheda added a cheese and parsley filling which would taste yummy too. Check out her page.
Hope you guys give this recipe a try. You will love it.
Makes 30 fried pies
For the dough:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 25g cold butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
Any filling (chicken, mutton, veg)
Oil for deep frying
- Cold water can be added instead of milk.
- You can make this ahead and freeze it.
- In a bowl add flour, salt and butter cubes. Rub well with fingers till the butter gets well incorporated into the flour.
- Add in sesame seeds.
- Pour milk and knead the dough till smooth. You may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Form into 4 balls.
- Roll the dough ball thinly. Using a circle shaped cookie cutter, cut into small circle shapes.
- Rub the edges with little water, so that they stick well. Place a tsp of filling in the center.
- Pinch together two sides of circle. Seal by pressing. Then pinch together the other two sides of the dough. Seal.
- Do the same with all the dough.
- Deep fry in medium high heat till golden brown.
One thought on “Fried Chicken Pies”