Crunchy, flaky Baklava filled with pistachio paste made using puff pastry. This takes very little time to prepare and taste delicious.
Baklava is undoubtedly one of the most loved Middle Eastern Dessert all around the world. It comes in a wide range of forms and fillings, with rolled baklava being the most common and popular.
A wide variety of fillings can be used like almonds, pistachios or walnuts to get a rich, nutty flavor. I have used pistachios with condensed milk. Condensed milk can be replaced with simple syrup also. To make the preparation process simpler, I have used puff pastry sheets instead of filo pastry. I really loved how these turned out. I will not say that this baklava tastes exactly like the traditional baklava, but it tastes amazing. With a drizzle of syrup over the flaky puff pastry, these rolls make the perfect dessert for gathering during Iftar.
Easy Baklava using puff pastry
- 1 Cup crushed pistachios plus more for garmish
- ½ Cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Sheet puff pastry or puff pastry squares
- sugar syrup
For the simple syrup:
- 1 Cup sugar
- ½ Cup water
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tsp rose water
- In a bowl, mix together pistachios and condensed milk and keep aside.
- Take the puff pastry sheet and cut it into squares. (About 4 inches)
- Add pistachio paste on one side of the pastry square and roll it.
- On a greased metal baking tray, place the rolled pistachio puff pastry.
- Cut into bite sized pieces (about 2 inches long).
- Bake at 180 C preheated oven for 30 minutes or more until the baklavas are very flaky and fully cooked on all sides of the baklava. See if the sides of all baklavas are cooked well, otherwise it will taste like raw.
- Right after taking it out of the oven, pour sugar syrup all over the baklava.
- Garnish with baklava.
To make Simple Syrup:
- MIx together sugar and water and heat it on high heat stirring continuously until the sugar gets dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add a tsp of lemon juice and rose water.