Fatayer is a Middle Eastern savory pastries that are stuffed with either cheese or meat. This recipe that I have here makes super soft melt in the mouth bread and we are in love with this recipe.
This is one dish that I am making on repeat this Ramadan for Iftar. We just can’t get enough of this. My eldest son who is 7 now started fasting this year (not fully, only during the weekends) and the day he fasts he wants Maama’s homemade Fatayer every time. The bread recipe is spot on here, it turns out so soft and fluffy that it literally melts in the mouth. And which is why this is my 1 year old’s favorite too.
Since my husband doesn’t enjoy plain cheese Fatayer, I make stuffed ones for him. I tried with a saucy chicken filling and it turned out soo good, that I like the chicken Fatayer more now. Traditionally, this is stuffed with minced lamb/ beef filling, or spinach and cheese filling or zaatar. So you can choose and stuff this with anything you like.
- 1 Cup Warm milk
- ½ Cup Warm water plus 2 tbsp
- ½ Cup oil
- 2 Tbsp yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 2 Tsp sugar
- 4 ½ Cup all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ Tsp salt
- In a bowl, add milk, water, oil, yoghurt,yeast, sugar and salt. Mix it well.
- Add flour and baking powder. Mix with a spoon.
- Knead it well for 5 minutes.
- Let it rest in a warm place for about 2 hours until it doubles in size.
- punch it down and knead it for a minute.
- Make small balls out of it and roll it lengthwise on a floured surface.
- Add mozzarella cheese in middle. Pull the dough’s edges up around the filling and pinch the ends together to create a boat shape. This will keep the melting cheese inside while baking.
- Any meat filling can be added inside too.
- Bake the fatayer at 180 C for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve it warm
Dough recipe from aalmalfat
4 thoughts on “Cheese Fatayer with the Softest Melt in the Mouth Bread”
In Sha Allah..will try….how to do the saucy chicken filling?
I used the same filling which I made fir fried bun sandwich. That recipe is there in the blog too.
How many does this recipe make please?
It makes about about 15 fatayers