A delicious and refreshing layered trifle pudding with layers of eggless sponge cake soaked in saffron infused coconut milk, sweetened khoya/ mawa, mangoes and sweet thick cream. This would be the perfect dessert for the festive season.
For this Eid I have for you a dessert that is traditional and new. Our traditional rasmalai flavored trifle pudding. I always love any dessert which has cake soaked in milk. A nice moist cake with cream is always a delightful combination. Here I have made an eggless sponge cake highly inspired from passionate about baking. I was skeptical thinking the cake wont turn out good seeing the texture of my batter. But the cake was so spongy and soft. Perfect for trifle pudding, where all the ingredients should blend well.
I made a saffron infused coconut milk. Coconut milk can be replaced with regular milk, but I chose coconut milk as mango and coconut is always a good combination. The main ingredient in this dessert is the Khoya/ Mawa. Khoya also known as mawa or khoa is dried evaporated milk solids. the milk is slowly simmered in a large iron kadai, till all its moisture evaporates and it reduces to solids.
I didn’t make it myself, instead I bought a frozen mawa from the brand Amul. I found it in LuLu supermarket and I stocked it up to use in more desserts. You can make it by yourself within minutes by following this recipe by food fusion.
Rasmalai Mango trifle with Mawa
To make Saffron Milk:
- 170 Grams coconut milk
- 50 Grams sweetened condensed milk
- A pinch saffron
To make the cake:
- 135 Grams plain flour
- 100 Grams sugar
- 45 Grams oil
- 175 Grams buttermilk
- 1/2 Tsp baking powder
- 3/4 Tsp baking soda
- 3/4 Tsp vinegar
To make mawa mixture:
- 200 Grams mawa/khoya
- 1 Tsp ghee
- sliced almonds
- 1/4 Cup (or more) sweetened condensed milk or sugar
- 375 Ml thick cream
- 1/2 Cup honey (add more or less as per your liking)
- mangoes diced
To make saffron milk:
- Mix all the ingredients and warm it slightly and let it cool for an hour for the saffron to infuse into the milk. Add more saffron if you like a bright yellow color milk.
To make the cake:
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix by cut and fold method.
- Grease an 8 inch square pan well and pour the batter into it.
- Bake in a 180 C preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
To make mawa mixutre:
- In a pan, heat ghee.
- Add mawa and mix well. Add almonds and condensed milk.
- Mix well and cook for 5 miutes until everything comes together.
To make the cream mix:
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- If you are assembling in the baking tray itself, slice the cake from middle and do layering.
- If you are making individual servings in a stem glass, cut the cake into rounds.
- Place cake at the bottom. Soak it with saffron milk.
- Add mawa mixture. Add mangoes. Pour cream.
- Add another layer of cake. Soak with milk generously.
- Add mawa mix. Pour cream. Then mangoes. Garnish with more mawa and pistachios.
- Refrigerate for 4-5 hours.